Thursday, August 06, 2015

Bags Bunny video game proof of concept

Bags Bunny is a bunny (rabbit) who is always up for a good time.  He loves to deceive others and eat his favorite food: tomatoes.  But a hunter steals all his tomatoes and holds his girlfriend hostage and threatens to blow her brains out if Bags does not surrender himself.  Now it is up to Bags to swoop in and save the day and collect back his tomato collection, which was stolen.

Here is a photo of Bags munching on his favorite food: tomatoes, in stunning 3D.

The game starring Bags is a 3D platformer.  That means that Bags is basically just walking around collecting tomatoes and defeating enemies in a cartoon-like world.  Bags is originally a cartoon -- well, he wasn't originally anything, because I made him up, based on nothing, but he kind of looks like a cartoon.  He looks like a cartoon in the sense that he is a tall rabbit who talks.  He has a fresh demeanor and a bad attitude but in a humorous, relatable way.

Here is what Bags would look like walking through his eye-catching 3D world.


Note the tomato on one side of the world and the enemy on the other.  This is an example of the gameplay choice players would face: should he eat the tomato (sustenance) or pursue the enemy (vengeance)?  This sustenance vs. vengeance dichotomy would be at the heart of the gameplay.  Note also the tree, which demonstrates that the game takes place outdoors.

Here is Bags throwing a book in the trash, because he is too cool for reading.

Bags would face a number of enemies in his game/life.  For example, Ducky Duck, a duck who is always arguing with Bags about the time of the year.  There is Almar, the hunter who has captured Bag's girlfriend and tomatoes.  Almar is of Romanian descent.  And finally, there is Old West Sam, a man with orange hair and a large hat.  Bags also has some friends, like Ducky Duck helps him, sometimes (he's an enemy sometimes and a friend sometimes) and Porkpie Pig, which is a clothed farm animal.

The special skills of Bags reflect the kinds of things bunnies do in real life, such as walking, shuffling around, punching, making sarcastic remarks, and holding a flashlight to illuminate dark areas.  Bags cannot jump because his legs were broken in an accident.  This is because it is difficult to program a video game bunny to jump, so I decided just to not bother with it at all.  Every time I tried something would go wrong, like Bags would jump in the air but never come down, or he'd get stuck under a ledge, or the game would shut down and my computer would melt.  Several computers melted in this manner.  But I feel like my difficulties with programming jumps are actually a positive because that means we only have to worry about stuff on the ground.  Many tomatoes will be placed just out of Bag's reach and so the player will spend many hours of fun trying to figure out how to jump or climb or reach, but in fact the tomatoes will be unreachable, ensuring that their fun never ends.

Here is Bags standing beneath a tomato he cannot reach in glorious 3D.


Bags is an original creation of mine, based on nothing.  I had the idea for a sarcastic bunny who is enemies with hunters.  If there is another bunny like this, well it is just a strange coincidence, but I truly have no idea that there is because I am not aware of all the characters that were ever created, that would be insane.  The idea for Bags came to me in a dream.  I was walking through a strange forest world (in the dream) when suddenly I heard a crunching behind me.  I turned around and saw a tall, slender gray bunny with big ears and buck teeth.  "My name is Bags," he said with a wink.  "Would you like to fuck me?"  How could I, I thought (but I knew he could hear me), when you're not real?  "You'll just have to make me real!" he said, and he slid down into his bunny hole.  I jumped at him and grabbed his back legs just before they slipped out of view and squeezed them as hard as I could.  "I don't know how to make you real!" I called out to him, "please tell me!  Come back!"  But Bags was screaming, "aaah, my fucking legs!  You broke them!  You fucking idiot, you broke my fucking legs!"  I pulled him out of his hole.  He panted and a tears clouded his eyes.  His legs were twisted backwards -- bone stuck through the skin.  "Well?" he said, looking up at me.  "Are you going to fuck me now, or aren't you?"  Then I woke up.

Here is a picture of Bags from my dream, thinking, I am a bunny with broken legs, what is left of me? and how much longer can I be expected to live?


I want to make it clear that this video game has nothing to do with fucking Bags Bunny, or any hypothetical desire on my part to do so.  There are no levels or abilities that enable you to fuck Bags in the game or even simulate fucking him, or simulate him fucking you or anyone else.  That was just the genesis of the idea.  Ideas can come from many unusual places, including dreams.  One time I dreamt that I lived in an orange bedroom.  The walls hummed with light, and I felt safe there.  I woke up and went right down to the paint store (after I had showered and dressed) and bought a couple cans of orange paint and painted without rest until my bedroom looked just as it did in my dream.  My bedroom is still orange and I hate it.

No comments: