Thursday, November 12, 2015

Dear Joyce,

Thank you for your generous and thoughtful invitation, but I will be unable to attend your daughter's baby shower.  Is she married yet?  What a tragedy.  I would love to come but unfortunately I am having my jaw rebroken that morning after a botched dental procedure, and my doctor tells me that I will be unable to chew on your delicious buffet.  Wish me luck!  It's a short surgery, thankfully (they just strap the jaw into some kind of medical vise and tighten it until it breaks and then you wake up, is my understanding), but my nerves are still up, as you might imagine!  But I haven't been able to close my mouth since the first break when my dental hygienist leaned on my jaw while cleaning my back teeth back in February, so it will be a relief to get it fixed.  I was hoping to drive over to your house after the surgery and at least catch you and your daughter before things get "out of hand" over there, as they so often do, but the doctor says I need my rest, and I'll have to hold a rigid board to my skull to make sure it heals properly, and so I'm afraid I just won't be much fun!

Thank you for asking about my brother.  He is doing much better since being speared by a marlin the day before your birthday party.

I'm sure you'll have a lovely time with your daughter and all her "friends."  Where may I send the gift? (forks)

No comments: